The video explains best practices and different failure scenarios for different observer placements. It also shows how to configure high availability for the observer.
Here’s the summary:
- Always try to put the observer(s) on an external site.
- If you don’t have any, put it where the primary database is, and have one ready on the secondary site after the role transition.
- Don’t put the observer together with the standby database!
- Configure multiple observers for high availability, and use the PreferredObserverHosts Data Guard member property to ensure you never run the observer where the standby database is.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Ludovico (see all)
- When it comes to using Oracle, trust Oracle… - July 14, 2023
- Video: Where should I put the Observer in a Fast-Start Failover configuration? - November 29, 2022
- Video: The importance of Fast-Start Failover in an Oracle Data Guard configuration - November 29, 2022